Friday, January 25, 2013

Weighing on my heart

I have something weighing on my heart and I'd like to share it with you all.  It is something that needs to be shared and acknowledged.
On Sunday, when I was at the outdoor market, I saw something I've never seen before.  I was standing outside, by a store selling herbs, spices and other things.  I noticed a man with a young boy, the boy did not look old enough for school yet.  The man was carrying a plastic bag, and in it I saw an onion.  I watched the man as he went through the garbage cans looking for food.  I was shocked and extremely saddened upon seeing this.  I quickly tried to think of what to do.  I didn't have much money with me, and I was afraid of being mobbed if I started handing out money.  Then I thought I could buy them some food, but there was no cooked food around for sale.  It was just ingredients, like dried peppers or cinnamon.  That wouldn't work!  I watched them as they continued to look for food and I felt like crying.  Never in my life have I been faced with a situation like this, and never had I had to go looking for food in a garbage can to feed myself or my children.  I know I am supposed to be the hands and feet of Jesus, and yet when faced with it, I did not know what to do and did nothing.  Jesus said, "What you do for the least of these, you do for me", yet I failed to do anything.  The next day, I discussed what I had seen with Ray, the missionary here.  I asked him what I could do in the future.  He told me that this is not an infrequent thing in Tijuana or Mexico.  There are no soup kitchens here, or any place that will feed people that come in off the streets.  He suggested that I can start carrying fruit around with me when we go out.  That way I can give it to someone who needs it.  He also suggested that I have some 10 peso coins with me that I can discreetly give someone to buy a taco with.  I feel better having a plan now, but I still am burdened by that father and son whom I saw.  I am thankful that God opened my eyes to see them and notice their situation.  I hope the next time I encounter something like this, I will be ready and able to act.  There is a song that I've been listening to while preparing for and during my trip.  It is called Kings and Queens by Audio Adrenaline.  It says if not us, who will help the least of these?  They can become kings and queens.  I love the song and it has a great message.
I wanted to share this with you, so that you would be aware of it as well.

1 comment:

okiemomofthree said...

Hi Cassie,
I've been keeping up with your posts but this is the first time I've decided to comment. That is so very sad to see people going through garbage to find food to eat! Hope taking fruit and a few pesos with you will help someone next time you're out!
I'm so proud of you for doing this! You have turned into such a wonderful young lady!! Am praying for you!
connie Ivey