Friday, January 18, 2013

I'm so crafty!

On Monday night/Tuesday morning, the West Virginia group arrived at Deborah's House.  This group is a bunch of crafty ladies.  They came with many craft supplies and materials.  They've been teaching me, and the women at the shelter how to sew, quilt, knit and crochet all this week.
On Tuesday, I helped to teach one woman how to sew a baby blanket.
Wednesday, I crocheted a necklace and made earrings too.

 Here is a flower pin that one of the women that teaches sewing here made for me. 
 The earrings I made.
 My necklace I crocheted.
Supper Wednesday night.  It was toasted bread, with beans and cheese on it.  It was very good!
Yesterday, Thursday, I made a rug out of ripped up fabric.  I learned how to crochet it.  Mine didn't turn out very well though because it won't lie flat.  Oh well.  It's pretty.
 Our lunch yesterday was pork and cactus, beans, rice, veggies and pineapple.  The cactus was interesting, but cooked with some very spicy chilies.
 We also had some jicama for a snack.  It's a root of some kind.  Tasted kinda like a carrot.
 Here's the rug I made!
Yesterday, I also helped to tie dye some sheets to make more rugs with.  Today, we washed the excess dye out of them and are going to dye some more later. 
Today, I learned how to knit a scarf.  I've seen these around a lot, and they are very popular, and now I can make them myself.  Isn't it pretty?
 I've been having so much fun crafting with this group!  I love to do crafts, but don't have time or don't know now.  Now I have time and someone/s to teach me!  Well, I'm being called to tie dye, so I'll update more later!  Take care! 

2 comments:

Karen said...

Have just got your blog read. Looks lke you are having fun meeting some neat people, traveling, trying new foods and learning new skills. Love the pictures. They almost make me want to be there but my lack of Spanish would make me feel lost. Also know my mouth and stomach would not go for the spices!

Will continue to have you in my thoughts and prayers.

Take care, Karen

Rolene said...

Cassandra,
If you want to keep making those necklaces and scarves or would like to learn more, just come on in! I have the materials available here at Mother of Purl!:-)
Looks like you have having a great time. May the Lord keep you safe and bless you and the others there! We are keeping you in our prayers.
Rolene Barnhart