Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Preparations

Well, my trip begins tomorrow.  It has finally sunk in that this is really happening.  I wasn't nervous until last night.  I keep reminding myself that this is God's will for me.  Everything has fallen into place so easily for it to be otherwise.  I still am not sure exactly what I will be doing there.  I plan on just helping out in any way I can.  I also am a little concerned because my Spanish is rusty.  I am looking forward to this opportunity though, because it will let me experience what my ESL (English as a Second Language) students have gone through.  I will be in a country and culture where I do not know the language. I also will see the other side of the fence and life there.  Where I will be staying, is very close to the fence along the U.S. border.  I also will get to work with abused women and their families.  The U.S. is not exempt in having abuse, and it will be good for me to work with these children and gain experience for when I am a teacher.  It will be hard being away from my home and family for the duration of the trip, but I know that it will be worth it and be a life changing experience for me.  Please pray that I overcome my nervousness and feelings of homesickness.  By this time tomorrow, I will be at my home for the next two months.  When I get settled in, I will give you an update.

No comments: