Monday, March 4, 2013

There She Blows!

Ok, so as I said before, I was feeling kinda cruddy Tuesday, and that lasted for a few days.  I'm finally over it now.
Wednesday, I helped Ray build a composter in the morning, and after lunch, I worked on painting the ceiling again.

Thursday, I painted all morning and finally finished all the trimming!  We had church that night, as usual, and during church, a new woman arrived with her 9 month old baby.  He was so cute!

Friday, I and two of the women squeezed a mountain (seriously) of lemons!  We'd fill a pitcher full of it, and Maggie would take it and make lemonade.  Then we squeezed another pitcher full!  They drank that pitcher the next day.  I thought we were all done, but yesterday, she showed me we still have more lemons! Yikes!  After squeezing all those lemons, we started on lunch.  I made a pasta salad, and everyone really liked it, even though it didn't really follow the recipe.  :D After lunch, I had a movie "night" for the kids.  They watched Brother Bear and ate popcorn.  They really enjoyed that.  Unfortunately, after the movie, we had a going-away party for Mayte and her family.  She decided she was ready to move out on her own.  She has a place to live and school lined up for the kids.  We had cake, and prayed for her, and everyone gave the family hugs.  It was hard to say goodbye, and many of us (including me) cried.

Saturday was such a nice day!  It was warm, sunny, and in the low 80s!  (Yes Iowa people, I'm going to rub it in a bit)  The kids had discovered that I can take videos with my iPod, so I spent quite a bit of the morning following them around taking videos of them giving the news, weather, and a tour of the grounds.  After that, the women had their movie "night".  We had popcorn, sent Oscar to the store for Coke, and watched The Proposal.  The kids wanted to watch too, but I said it was just for the women and not appropriate for them, and we locked them outside to enjoy the nice day.  The women really enjoyed the movie and we laughed so hard.  Afterwards, the kids watched another movie I'd brought them, Horton Hears a Who.  While they watched, we made lunch.  I baked 3 kinds of muffins using mixes they had in the cupboard.  Afterwards, we relaxed and hung out.  The new woman that had arrived on Thursday, decided she wanted to leave, so someone took her.

Yesterday, Sunday, I went to Ensenada and La Bufadora for the third time!  Ray's family is here visiting, so we all went down.  We had a bit of a food tour again.  At Ensenada we had fish tacos, and strawberry and nutella crepes.  La Bufadora finally was active this time.  The last two times I've been there, it wasn't doing much.  Yesterday it was!  (Hence the title for this post)  Our food tour continued with pina coladas (pineapple and coconut juice in a cut pineapple).  We went on to Puerto Nuevo, where we ate again.  I had steak and quesadillas.  It was amazing!  I had so much fun!

The very large Mexican flag at Ensenada

La Bufadora spewing water!  I got wet this time!

Michelle (Ray's daughter) and Kristy (a visiting missionary) holding a Boa Constrictor.  I said no way!
It was a fun day, even though it was cold and mostly cloudy.  It seems strange to think that I have barely over a week left.  The women are trying to decide how they can fit in my suitcases and go home with me.  I'm sad to be leaving, but I also miss my friends and family at home (not looking forward to the really cold weather though!).  I already know I want to come back, but finding the time and money will be deciding factor of when.  These women and this place have really touched my heart.  I know I will never forget them or their stories.  

No comments: